MultiSafePay
WorldPay
Plimus
WSO Pro
Paypal Digital Goods
RevenueWire
SWReg

How to make a membership site in Wordpress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DLGuard Forum Forum Index -> Member's Tips and Tricks!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makelemonade

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: How to make a membership site in Wordpress Reply with quote

DLGuard is actually pretty easy to use for membership sites in Wordpress. Here's what to do:

1. Go to your themes directory for the active themes and copy index.php to members.php. The themes directory is under wp-content/themes in your main Wordpress install

2. Edit members.php to have the DLGuard membership code at the top (before the get_header(); call:

Code:
<?php
/*
Template Name: DLGuard Membership
*/
  $pathToDLG = "dl/";
  $dlgMemberGroup = "3,4,5,6,7";
  include ($pathToDLG."members/dlgmembers.php");

The last three lines are the code from get-code in your dlguard memberships.

3. When you write a page (not a post) in Wordpress, look under "Page Template" and use the "DLGuard membership" template.

I suggest using the page parent feature to have one main page for the membership, with several additional pages as children of that page. This works best if you have your permalinks set to /%postname%/ (look under options -> permalinks.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post - sensational work Smile

Thanks for sharing!

cheers
Sam
-------
Keep up to date with DLGuard and other GuardHQ products: www.guardhq.com/newsletter.php
www.twitter.com/DLGuard
RussReynolds

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"3. When you write a page (not a post) in Wordpress, look under "Page Template" and use the "DLGuard membership" template.

I suggest using the page parent feature to have one main page for the membership, with several additional pages as children of that page. This works best if you have your permalinks set to /%postname%/ (look under options -> permalinks."

Could you please elaborate on this? I am unsure how to set up the main page.

Thanks,

Russ
makelemonade

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussReynolds wrote:
"3. When you write a page (not a post) in Wordpress, look under "Page Template" and use the "DLGuard membership" template.

I suggest using the page parent feature to have one main page for the membership, with several additional pages as children of that page. This works best if you have your permalinks set to /%postname%/ (look under options -> permalinks."

Could you please elaborate on this? I am unsure how to set up the main page.

Thanks,

Russ

Search for wordpress page parent.
BlueSquares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was a way to still show a post, but protect certain content within it. Almost like 'hiding' the member content.

I posted a wishlist on this. Make your voice heard if you like the idea.

http://dlguard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2646

Basically a simple mechanism to protect a post or part of the post through the use of [ private ] [ /private ] tags, anything in these tags will not show to users not logged in or those who have not signed up. This allows a very flexible system, given non users the ability to see extracts or partial content or even the whole content with key sections removed.
ltaliga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Go to your themes directory for the active themes and copy index.php to members.php. The themes directory is under wp-content/themes in your main Wordpress install

2. Edit members.php to have the DLGuard membership code at the top (before the get_header(); call:

Code:
<?php
/*
*/
$pathToDLG = "dl/";
$dlgMemberGroup = "3,4,5,6,7";

The last three lines are the code from get-code in your dlguard memberships.

3. When you write a page (not a post) in Wordpress, look under "Page Template" and use the "DLGuard membership" template.

I suggest using the page parent feature to have one main page for the membership, with several additional pages as children of that page. This works best if you have your permalinks set to /%postname%/ (look under options -> permalinks.

I followed the above instructions - however now I find that any page I create in Wordpress just takes me to my standard DLG members index page. Even if I enter content into the page into Wordpress, it doesn't show up when I view the page.

Any ideas?!
espradley

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Let me know if you need help.

Last edited by espradley on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all sounds to complicated.

What I did was install dlguard bridge plugin into my wordpress blog and whala I now have a membership site.

Steps taken
1. Install wordpress into the directory you want to have your members only content in, eg. example.com/members. I also have a identical blog in my main publichtml directory that has free content and a sales page for my membership blog eg. example.com.

2. Install Dlguard membership bridge plugin through the add new plugin area in your blog dashboard.

3.install dlg into your member directory along with your wordpress blog.

4. configure your dlg path in the plugin and tick the box to allow dlg to protect your members blog and press save.

You now have a completely protected blog.

Put your links into your sales page and get promoting!

This plugin is actually how I found out about Dlg in the first place.
wrangler10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kell, thanks for this tip. It seems that I and some more people have the following problem quote form: http://pressography.com/plugins/dlguard-membership-plugin/comment-page-1/#comment-2168

"Dwad on July 7th, 2009 7:01 pm

HELP! I keep getting that “Whoops! Can’t find DLGuard based on your settings. You need to update the path on this page!” error!

I installed it in WP, and it by default went to /public_html/mydomain.net/wp-content/plugins/dlguard-membership-plugin

I’ve tried all variations of the address, and even went and logged into my cPanel, went to “File Manager”, found the folder, copied the exact address, but STILL can’t get it to work!

Thing is, I’ve used an “Add-On” domain bridged off another domain i.e.

maindomain.com/mydomain.net

I tried adding the main domain, but also didn’t work"

Can you help?
espradley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hey - I don't know much about the membership bridge, but if I remember it correctly, it protects the pages....

There are a couple of ways to protect your bog.

1. Protect everything - cannot see anything.

2. Protect just the pages that you create.

To complete number 1:

Modify your header.php file in WP to include your DLGuard. WP has a working directory of the main WP page - so make sure you setup the path to DLG based on that. So if your WP is installed on your main directory (public_html or www) then use the following code:
Quote:

<?php
$pathToDLG = "dlg/";
$dlgMemberGroup = "1";
include ($pathToDLG."members/dlgmembers.php"); ?>

If it is in a folder, such as a members directory, use the following:

Code:

<?php
  $pathToDLG = "../dlg/";
  $dlgMemberGroup = "1";
  include ($pathToDLG."members/dlgmembers.php"); ?>

To protect it using number 2:

make a copy your index.php from your themes folder and rename it something like dlguard.php. Then change the very top following:

Main directory install:
Code:
<?php
/*
*/
  $pathToDLG = "dlg/";
  $dlgMemberGroup = "1";

If installed in a subdirectory, try the following:

Code:
<?php
/*
*/
  $pathToDLG = "../dlg/";
  $dlgMemberGroup = "1";

When you finish this you will see a "DLGuard Membership" option under the template section of your page post in WP.

Let me know if you need any help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DLGuard Forum Forum Index -> Member's Tips and Tricks! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: